Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Spoiled Brat

Was just reading some of the posts to the test blog for WORTHWHILE. They are great! I'm like a kid in a candy store. I'm a spoiled brat to be sure, lucky enough to read this great new stuff. Tried to talk our founders into launching sooner than April 5 -- they say, cool your jets. Here's a post from one of our new writers, a young woman entrepreneur.
Early Entrepreneurial Lessons

by Kate Yandoh

Although only 9 and not especially perceptive, I could tell that my parents were not as thrilled by the rapid population growth in my gerbil cages as I. So I asked for a ride to the local department store to see if they might be able to profit from my surplus. Armed with a shoebox full of little critters and clad in my favorite Polly Flinders party frock, I closed the deal and went home with an envelope of cash.

One Saturday, I went into the playroom to find mother and father gerbil happily devouring a new litter instead of their food nuggets. My mother tried to console me until she understood what I was saying through hysterical tears: "That's five dollars, gone!"

This introduction to product cannibalism spelled the end of my enterprise.