Monday, March 29, 2004

Electronic Arts Big Video Monster

Wow, their market share is monstrous. Very cool.
Electronic Arts Inc. (NasdaqNM:ERTS - news), the gaming industry's largest publisher, has perfected the art of getting gamers hooked on yearly releases of sports games and turning out versions of movie hits such as "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" and "Harry Potter (news - web sites): Quidditch World Cup."

EA's U.S. market share in 2004 is more than twice that of its closest competitor, and the company generates more revenue in the December quarter than its closest competitor does in an entire fiscal year, driven in large part by those repeat sports and film titles. -- Reuters via Yahoo News!
I don't know if I agree with the rest of this Reuters piece about how the gaming industry lacks creative energy. That's not been my experience. This year, I got my 8-year-old a P/S2 and his first video games, and I've been watching all of them and learning a lot. I think the creativity in gaming is awesome.