Saturday, October 25, 2003

Kevin's Up!

Kevin Marks takes me to task about saying the Blogstreet's 100 Top Most Excellent Influential Blogs are populated only by 3 women. He's right and now that's he's answered his email and he's up on the West Coast let me post his excellent reply.

He mentions these in an email to me, numbering the blogs listed in the top 100 which are solely written by women or group blogs that include women:

>> 5: boingBoing includes Xeni
>> 7: DailyKos includes Melanie
>> 10: TalkLeft is Jeralyn Merrit
>> 17: Asymmetrical Information is Jane Galt
>> 19: Samizdata include Adriana Cronin, Natalie
>> Solent, Alice Bachini &
>> Natalija Radic
>> 28: Volokh conspiracy includes Michelle Boardman,
>> but she doesn't post
>> much
>> 34: Natalie Solent
>> 35: On the Third Hand is Kathy Kinsley
>> 36: Slashdot includes Pudge, but is mostly blokes.
>> 43: Eve Tushnet
>> 46: Tapped is another group blog with men and women
>> 49: Cut on the bias is susanna
>> 50: Winds of Change is another group log with some
>> women
>>
>> (I'm stopping halfway as it is late and 50 blogs is
>> enough for now)
>>
>> Also, Virgina Postrel IS there at no. 61
>>
>> I think the moral is that group blogs win out in
>> their metric.
>>

Thanks, Kevin, I'll still say that blogs written purely by one woman out of 100 number somewhere near ... 10.

Megnut
Postrel
Eve Tushnet
Susanna/Bias
Meryl Yourish
Jeryln TalkLeft
Jane Galt
Natalie Solent
Kathy Kinsie

I love these guys and I'm glad they are on the list, but expect there will be more and more.