Wednesday, October 02, 2002

I Got Scrod In Boston


I know there's some old joke about that -- two Boston Brahim ladies going into town to get scrod -- don't remember the rest, but really I got scrod at Legal Seafood's in Logan Airport yesterday and it was terrific. I'm still very thrown off by the fact that I got to the airport with enough time, had a great lunch, had a perfect flight -- yes, thank you United -- and got to SFO on time. Surely something was amiss!

Just joking, but I do expect most travel to get messed up one way or another. Everyone disses the airlines, but United's been great for me on more than one occasion. When my mom was dying of lung cancer in 1997 and I was living in LA and had to bounce between LAX and BOS a lot that year, United was amazingly helpful, flexible and kind. I really appreciated it.

I'd bought a ticket for Friday, September 26. 1997 with an arrival in Boston at 7:30pm and three days before was sitting at home in LA looking out the window and got a flash that I needed to GO right then and there -- not wait until Friday. I threw some clothes in a bag, dashed to LAX and United put me on their next flight to Logan. My mom had taken a turn for the worse that day and actually passed away three days later on Friday, September 26th around 7:30pm. Thanks United counter lady who helped me out and I'll never know your name.